My recent article in Soap Opera Digest is on How To Look Awake When You're really not!
Let’s face it, we all have those mornings where we wake up with puffy eyes after a night of too much Pinot Grigio, potato chips and not even close to enough hours of sleep. After hitting snooze on our alarm for the fifth time we finally decide to roll out of bed. We feel lethargic and puffy, our skin might be dry and dehydrated, we have sleep lines on our faces and we are just a bunch of hot messes!!
If you find yourself in this situation and have a day of important meetings or work, here are some tips to help you look and feel brand new!
- HYDRATE! The first thing you should do is drink a big glass of water. As it is, we wake up dehydrated every morning but after a night of drinking or heavy sodium, it is so much worse. Drinking water will help wake you up and hydrate your skin, making it look more supple. It will also help reduce the look of fine lines and help you lose or maintain weight as this speeds up your metabolism.
- COFFEE WITH COCONUT OIL. You read that right, coconut oil in your coffee. Coconut oil actually gives you more energy. It is made up of MCT’s (Medium Chain triglycerides) MCT’s are more rapidly absorbed by the body and are quickly metabolized as fuel (not stored as fat). The result is not only more energy, but also an increase in your metabolism leading to a higher calorie burn which in turn leads to weight loss (just a little added benefit!) Coconut oil is also great for your immune system. The combination of coffee and coconut oil will give you an incredible amount of energy to tackle the day. Just mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with a cup of coffee and blend it together in a blender.
- ICE. Okay let’s be real here, if you are a product junkie like me, all you want to do is play with all new eye creams that claim to de-puff, get rid of under eye circles, reduce crows feet and do your grocery shopping for you. Yes I fall for all of it and honestly some really do work well. The best trick I have learned though, (and it’s free!) is when you wake up puffy, put ice on your eyes for a few minutes. This instantly takes away puffiness and actually tightens your skin. I just take an ice cube, wrap it around a wet paper towel and hold it for a few minutes under each eye. It feels so good and helps wake me up as well!
- UNDER EYE PATCHES. If you are short on time, you can use a cooling eye mask like Skyn Icelands Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels while you put on your makeup. I discovered this trick by accident, but this also works as an amazing way to prevent having to clean up fall out from your eye shadow when applying your makeup. You know how sometimes when you are doing your eyes, the shadow falls and you look like a raccoon? You then have to go over your under eye with makeup remover and clean it up because putting concealer over it will make it look so much worse! By having the eye patch there, all shadow falls on the eye patch so when you remove it, not only do your eyes look rested but there is no clean up! Who doesn’t love skipping that extra step?!
- COFFEE SCRUB You guys have read about my DIY coffee scrub before, but what I love most about it is that on mornings like this, it really helps wake you up. The caffeine in the coffee grinds obviously work but its the peppermint oil that I find wakes up my senses and just makes me feel good!
Following these steps will definitely help you on mornings like this, but the best tip is to obviously make it a point to get enough sleep during the week!